Friday, December 9, 2011

19th century Italian Rebuses!

Do any of you out there like solving rebuses? You know what I'm talking about, right, those pictogram puzzles? I'm the only one? Okay...

I know Sudoku is all the rage, but since I am generally interested in what was popular in the last decade, if not the last century, I must admit to my preference for this particular type of brain-teaser. So imagine my delight when I stumbled upon these rebuses from the 1800s, engraved by Stefano della Bella.

If you like rebuses (come on, I can't be the only one!) and you speak Italian, give it a go! Try not to look at the answers at the bottom of the first image. The second has no solution, so I'd like to hear what you come up with!


Rebus of Love

Images provided courtesy of the Press Office of the Ministero per i Beni Culturali, and were part of an exhibition entitled, "Ah, che rebus!" presented at Palazzo Poli last winter.
StumbleUpon Pin It
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...